Day Forty-Five


I loaded the third from the last firing for the succulent pots project. 

The bisque firing is just cooling down for the time I start the work in the morning. My work table is setup by the kiln. I pull out pots one by one inspecting - especially looking for a sign of crack at the bottom (I still have this - thought I have learned to be patient enough not to rush the drying) - and wiping the dust on the surface on the bisque. Put them on the work bench. I then draw circles on the bisque with wax, one at top over the rim first and then two at the bottom. As I finish waxing I put them on the low table table with wheels, (I initially made these tables for the glazing station but the number of buckets grew and they do not fit under the counter so to make more room I took out the caster tables. It is a low table like 18"H and not great as a work table but it works well for moving ceramic ware from this side to the other end of the studio. The floor is not even and a higher table will make the ceramics chatter) to the glazing station at the other end of the studio. I mix the glaze in the bucket, dip the first layer of glaze, and wipe the beads of glaze remain on the waxed area. It is easier to wipe them when the glaze is sill wet, rather than to wait until all pots are glazed, by the time the glaze is dry and hard.  Then I apply the second layer of color glaze, wipe the glaze on the waxed area with a sponge again, and put them back on the wheeled table, by a fan is setup to dry the ware. 

I know exactly how many pots will fit in the kiln. I rolled the wheeled table back to the kiln area and stamp the bottom one by one as I put them in the kiln. 

A system may sound boing but it saves me from otherwise unnecessary additional footwork, inspections, and handling which could end up in wasted time, mistakes, lost items, lost counts, breakage, confusions, worries ...the stuff I don't like.  Once it becomes a habit it frees up my mind to dream about the next project. 

This I learned after 300 succulent pots.